Thursday, April 18, 2013

Yarn Experimentation


I like giving new things a go and when I came across this 'dyeing your own wool' on Pinterest I knew straight away that I just had to try it.  The colour combinations that Lee had created just had me in awe.  I am usually not one for variegated wool but I just couldn’t stop looking at all the beautiful combinations.

Lee’s post was very straight forward and I already had everything on hand except one thing.  And this is not a little thing, it’s the main ingredient.  Where was I going to get Kool-Aid from? Being from the Southern Hemisphere it is not something that is easily accessible.  I tried several different places but no luck, I thought I might have to somehow purchase it from overseas but would anyone send me some considering I only wanted a few packets and not a massive order.  
And then the Universe came to my aid. 
A new confectionary shop has just opened up in a local shopping centre and this place has everything from everywhere, including Kool-Aid (and what a range!).  I decided to get one of everything and when I went to pay for them the lady at the cashier asked if I liked them (as I had so many), I don’t think she believed me when I said I wasn’t actually going to drink them but dye wool instead.

So now I was set.  A few basic tools, instructions in hand and off I went. 

 
First things first, putting the yarn into useable hanks (like my low tech method?)

 
This is me at my first attempt, bit by bit. 
 
The hardest part is waiting the 10-15 minutes between each colour application.  But in the end it is all worth it.
Here is my first attempt,

 
 

And then I just couldn’t help myself and I had to have a few more goes.





 

Now the next decision is to decide on what I am going to make with my dyed wool; beanies, booties, gloves...

I've been a little scared of the whole dye your own wool process but this has just been the most fun thing ever.  Would love to see your creations if you decide to give it a go.

Anna
XO

 

No comments:

Post a Comment